12.26.2007

Ten Tracks by the Clash

The album that changed me the most is the US version of the Clash's debut. In terms of punk, most people are quick to talk about just how amazing the Sex Pistols were and how much Never Mind the Bollocks....is an important record. While I agree it is a significant album, to me the Sex Pistols were more about aesthetics while the Clash's career, which has many albums and not one, has more weight. The Clash encompass an experimentation in music. It was just punk, but it was ska, reggae and dub too. I think I am more content with the Clash because their is a whole lot more to their catalog. The Pistols had their moment. And in some ways, they were more of a cultural phenom then technical musicians. The Sex Pistols live in the myth of Sid and Nancy. And the Clash is a reflection of the times in England. The racism, the lack of jobs, the living in run down houses. The Clash will always be the most important band to me. I may love Depeche Mode more in different ways, but I never forget how the Clash altered my being.

You should watch the Clash documentary Westway to the World. I think you might like it.

White Riot by the Clash
I'm So Bored With the USA by the Clash
I Fought the Law by the Clash
(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais by the Clash
Police and Thieves by the Clash
Lost in the Super Market by the Clash
Should I Stay or Should I Go? by the Clash
The Guns of Brixton by the Clash
London Calling by the Clash
Complete Control by the Clash

No comments: